Saturday, December 11, 2010

Kye Allums

In class we recently discussed a the topic of transgendered athletes.  During this discussion we came across a woman who thinks she's a man.  Kye Allums is a girl that plays basketball for George Washington college.  She plays on the women's team, but she thinks she is a man.  Kye has the biological qualities of a woman, but she believes that she was supposed to be born a man. This is known as being transgender. It is different than transsexual and transvestite. There are no rules forbidding a transgender athlete to play, unless hormone drugs are being used.  Therefore, Kye is currently on the women's basketball team at George Washington.  Although she is on the team she is not very good. She only averages 17 minutes a game and isn't even top 5 in scoring on the team.  I personally think that transgender people are just messed up in the head.  I don't see how you can be born with the anatomy of a woman and think your a man.  Nonetheless, that is how it is classified.

Transgender athletes are affecting the global market place because they are stories that you don't hear everyday.  When another person on the opposite side of the world sees this story they too might pursue sports.  It gives transgender people around the world hope that they can pursue their dreams.  I personally don't agree with the whole concept, but I do think that transgender people everywhere deserve the same chance to play sports as any other person because in the end they are people too.

1 comment:

  1. I was unaware that something like this even existed. I also don't understand how one can honestly believe they were suppose to be in an opposite sex's body. As far as Kye goes, it would make more sense if she was a very dominant player on the team and lead the league in certain stats because then people would question her. Unfortunately for her she isn't and she is going to need to deal with her issues on and off the court. This makes me curious as to how many more athletes like this are out there and how they are dealing with their everyday lives.

    ReplyDelete