Michael Vick is one of the greatest sports stories of the decade. He began with the Atlanta Falcons and was known as decent passer and an unbelievable runner. His popularity grew by the minute and he was starting to be known as one the better quarterbacks. The league was starting to recognize him as an NFL icon and fans loved him in Atlanta. Then the allegations came out.
Mike Vick was brought into a legal case about dog fighting at his Virginia home. Vick was not involved as much as his friends. He definitely knew what was going on at his Virginia home, but I feel as if he wasn't a big part of it and that he rather provided the home, but didn't participate. The FBI thought different and Vick was incarcerated for a year and a half. In jail, Vick did nothing, but work at getting better. He was allowed to throw the football during their recreational time and he worked out a lot. His perspective on life changed and when he was released from jail he was allowed to rejoin his former colleagues in the NFL. The Philadelphia Eagles picked him up. After Kevin Kolb went down with a concussion Vick got a chance to show his skills as a starter once again. Now he is doing outstanding and is in the discussion of MVP.
Mike Vick was a major disappointment when he first got arrested, but now he has become a global icon. Michael Vick jerseys were the number one selling jersey this year. He has gone from last to first in this amazing story. This affects the global market because it is such an inspiring story. Not only that, he is known as one of the best athletes in the NFL. This helps with the global market because everyone around the world that enjoys sports, wants to see the best athlete performing. This brings a lot of global attention to the NFL and Philadelphia. Mike Vick has gone from bottom to top extremely fast. His athleticism is similar to Cam Newton's, who I wrote about in another post. These type of athletes are what is needed to catapult this sport into being loved on a global level.

I agree Max. This country was founded on second-chances, and for the most part people are open to accepting people after a mistake. Mike Vick was always a special athlete. I have been a big fan of his since his days at Virginia Tech, and was a huge fan of his when he came into the league with the Falcons. I bought his jersey, wore his cleats, bought his casual shoes, and praised him like a god.
ReplyDeleteWhen I heard of Vick's crime I was extremely disapointed. Being a dog lover, I thought I would never be able to give Vick forgiveness for his actions. However, when Vick was released from prison he looked genuinely sorry for what he did, and it looked like the correctional facility actually did its duty, and made him a better man.
I could not be more proud of Vick and his success in the NFL. Andy Reid has done a great job mentoring Mike in being a better QB, and a better person.