On October 31st the NFL took its talents to London's Wembley Stadium. The Denver Broncos took on the San Francisco 49ers in a week 9 match-up. The game itself didn't seem to be too interesting until the fourth quarter when San Francisco won 24-16. I can't recall what everyone's opinions on this were when we discussed it in class. I personally think it could have been a better match-up. When the NFL scheduled this game they should have sent two Superbowl contenders to London. If I can remember correctly, I think the tickets for this game sold out in 9 minutes which doesn't really suggest changing anything. Europeans loved having the NFL in their backyards. I am just suggesting that we show them some superstar players.
From a global standpoint, the NFL would get more publicity if they were better teams with superstar caliber players. If Tom Brady played Drew Brees in London the NFL would be more exposed. I don't mind seeing one or two games over there, but I would not want this to be a regular thing. That could just be my solipsist view, but I feel like it's America's sport. I do like seeing more fans beginning to follow the NFL though because it deserves the credit. In conclusion, the NFL in London isn't a bad idea. I just think they need to show some better teams.
I totally agree with you that we should send big name teams out there to gain support and popularity especially when they sell out games. Why not reward a country for selling out by giving them a great team to go vote for. If you try to market a sport but don't give the fans a team or face to cheer for they will lose interest or have no loyalty to the sport. You have to reward people and give them some sort of face to vote for in order for globalization of football to succeed
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion, football is America's version of the "beautiful sport", which is a term thrown around by Europeans when discussing soccer. So many physically incredible things can happen on a football field that is un-matched by any sport. Bringing our sport over to Europe is a great idea. NFL Europe was a bust, which was pretty much like a minor league football league, because of the lack of talent playing over there. If Europeans see the best of the best, I think that fan excitement could potentially build.
ReplyDeleteTom Brady played agaisnt the Buccaneers last year at Wimbley Stadium. I am sure his name captured more attention over there then these years matchup of the 49ers at Broncos. I am not sure if one person or one good team could change the dynamic of sports viewership in Europe, unless Europeans had a great player to relate to. If a european born athelte came over to the NFL and became a superstar, it could Glocalize his community and help gain popularity of the NFL in his country.